Côtes du Roussillon Villages, France
In the hills 20 km west of Perpignan the domaine perches high on a south-facing slope. It sits below the former site of a ‘royal castle’ dating from 1258, which used to mark the northern boundary of the kingdom of Aragon. Replaced in the 17th century by a hermitage, the castle lives on only in name.
The view from the terrace is spectacular, looking east to the Mediterranean, south to the snowcapped Canigou and Spain, and south-west to Andorra. The estate covers 70 hectares of clay and schist, of which 40 are under vine, between 100 and 450 meters. The vines are old, and their deep roots allow them to stand up to the frequent drought. The entire domaine is classified Côtes du Roussillon Villages.
Originally developed by Jean-Paul Henriquès, the winery is now run by his son Cyril. He makes a range of wines, from relatively quaffable to very profound.